To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Project Geotechnical Engineer – Montana
It is our mission to be the best geotechnical engineering firm in the Rocky Mountain northwest with a strong emphasis on challenging infrastructure projects including bridges, highways and landslides. We are seeking a Project Geotechnical Engineer to complement our current staff of 7 geotechnical engineers and materials engineer. The ideal candidate will be a motivated individual with strong communication skills, strong technical background in geotechnical engineering, and highly organized to manage geotechnical projects and work with our team of engineers, technicians and drillers.
- 4 year Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering
- Proven strong writing skills. Minor in English preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively challenging geotechnical experience.
- Professional registration in the state of Montana, or ability to obtain within six months.
- Solid understanding of geotechnical principals and methods of analysis.
- Strong communication skills and highly organized.
- Ability to work with others.
- Ability to travel and work outdoors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently performs project assignments.
- Plans, schedules, conducts and coordinates projects of low to moderate complexity.
- Develops proposals and related scope of work for new projects with review from senior-level staff.
- Plans, schedules, conducts and coordinates projects of low to high complexity
- Performs field geotechnical and geological engineering, such as geotechnical reconnaissance, geologic mapping, geotechnical instrumentation installation, culvert inspection, pavement observations, staking borings, logging soils while drilling, and other necessary components depending on the project.
- Prepares geotechnical engineering reports for review by senior level staff.
- Performs research and writes reports giving professional opinions and recommendations for review by senior-level staff.
- Uses computer programs to evaluate settlement, axial and lateral capacity of deep foundations, slope stability, pavement design, liquefaction and other engineering problems and draft reports.
- Supervises engineer interns, technicians and drillers on project specific basis.
- Occasionally run tests on soils, concrete and asphalt, and supervises technicians running these tests on specific projects.
- Monitors budgets of projects and ensures project invoicing and bill payment occurs in a timely fashion.
- Prepares construction field reports documenting contractors’ work methods, test results and the interpretation of these observations and tests.
- Travel for project or training, as required.
- Becomes active in state and national professional societies.
Why SK Geotechnical?
We strongly believe we provide a challenging, learning environment to provide a rewarding career in geotechnical engineering, and are looking for an individual with strong communication and technical skills to join us in taking our firm to the next level.
- Competitive salary. ($26 to $30 per hour DOE, plus overtime)
- Health savings account contribution and high deductible health plan.
- Profit sharing program.
- Seven paid vacation days.
- Six paid sick leave days.
- Up to three weeks vacation.
- Life insurance
This position is based in our Billings, Montana office. This is your chance to join the top geotechnical engineering firm in Montana and work on exciting and challenging projects in the beautiful Rocky Mountain region.
SK Geotechnical is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.