Full-Time Engineering Technician
Description: Effectively perform all engineering technician duties and responsibilities as described below. Assist in scheduling services, reviewing and finalizing results, and prepare reports for clients or other departments. Must have a positive attitude, be honest with all aspects of work and communication, and be willing to travel.
Specific duties include:
- Uses safe work practices.
- Performs all materials testing and inspection on construction projects, including compaction tests, concrete tests, rebar inspection, fireproofing inspection, and all other types of field services.
- Performs all types of laboratory testing, including Proctors, gradations, Atterberg limits, specific gravity, consolidation, and all other lab tests.
- Input test results into software (primarily Excel), review to 100 percent accuracy.
- Reads/understands job specifications and performs tests to those specifications.
- Calls client with test results and scheduling as requested.
- Informs supervisor or engineering staff if on-site conditions or practices appear questionable.
- Performs non-routine materials testing and special inspection.
- Maintains test equipment in accordance with SK Geotechnical’s accreditation, manufacturer’s and/or test specifications.
- Reviews daily reports for accuracy and final reporting.
- Maintains accurate records of chargeable and non-chargeable time.
- Maintains a clean lab and company vehicles.
- Assists supervisor in AASHTO calibration and certification.
- Works as driller’s assistant when necessary.
- Assists geotechnical engineers on field and laboratory work, such as staking borings, surveying, percolation tests, loading equipment, etc.
- Out-of-town work will be required (up to 25 to 50 percent), including day trips as well as occasional larger materials testing projects. Every attempt will be made to minimize weekend work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Typically two to five years of experience as an engineering technician with industry certifications and increasing responsibility, preferably with a minimum two-year associates degree in engineering, science or related discipline.
- Mathematical skills.
- Mechanical ability.
- Proficient in reading plans and job specifications.
- Computer and calculator skills.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and operate a wheelbarrow.
- Health insurance through Associated Employers of Montana (AEM)
- Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions of $1,800 per year
- 401K with employer match
- Profit Sharing
- Seven paid holidays
- Up to 4 weeks of accumulated sick leave, 6 days per year
- Up to three weeks’ vacation
- Life Insurance
- Dental/Vision Reimbursement
- Benefits are worth approximately $6/hr or 25% on top of salary.
- $20.00to $25.00 per hour depending on experience.
- Many opportunities for overtime pay (1.5 times per hour) beyond 40-hour week.
Information: SK Geotechnical is a full service, locally owned geotechnical engineering company in Billings, Montana. Our goal is to provide the very best geotechnical engineering, construction materials testing, construction inspection, and drilling services in the region. Overtime is common during the busy season. When out of town, company pays for individual motel room and meal allowance. Please complete our application at SKGeotechnical.com, including current Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). SK Geotechnical is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. Position is open until filled.